FG says Doctors’ continued strike not explainable
The Federal government on Sunday expressed perplexity over the decision of resident doctors to go on strike at this period.
At a joint press briefing, Minister of Information and Culture Alhaji Lai Mohammed accompanied by Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire and Minister of Labour and Productivity, Dr Chris Ngige said the government had already paid about N14 billion on group life insurance and hazard allowances.
They said N9 billion was paid to 14 insurance companies to ensure every federal government workers while N4.624 billion was paid to 55,031 health workers in 35 tertiary health institutions as hazard allowances.
In addition, personal protective equipment had been sent to states.
FG according to the three ministers was also discussing with Kaduna and Kogi State governments over reductions in salaries of medical doctors.
So far according to the ministers, all the demands of the doctors had been met and wondered why the strike had not been called off as at Sunday morning.