Fire incident at a bar leaves three dead in Nnewi, Anambra state
An early morning fire at a beer parlour in Nnewi, Anambra State, on Friday killed three female workers who were sleeping in the building.
The incident happened at Ezekwuabo Otolo Nnewi, close to St. Thomas Anglican Church (Akwudo).
The fire started at the place, called Padded Joint, around 3:00 a.m.
The source of the fire was yet to be ascertained at the time of this report.
A resident of the area, who asked not to be named, said that the owner of the motel is a woman fondly called ‘Obodo Umu Anumanu.’
The source said it is a normal occurrence for the owner to close the building and go home with the keys even if some of her staff slept over.
“The three girls could not escape because the rooms were locked and there was no way for them to exit as at that time,” the source said.
The corpses of the deceased have been deposited at the Nnewi Diocesan Hospital (Akwudo) by the police.
The police commissioner in the state, John Abang, confirmed the incident.