It seems there is no end in sight to the xenophobic attacks targeted at foreigners in South Africa as a fresh round of violence is seriously building up in the streets of Johannesburg, with armed youths protesting the continued stay of foreigners in their country.
According to respected South African journal, Sowetan Live, the protesters, mainly youths, have been demanding that foreigners leave their country immediately.
Buthelezi begged the crowd, to calm down as the xenophobic attacks had already set South Africa into a path to isolation. “I’m not here to judge but to mediate,” Buthelezi, the former leader of IFP who stepped down just last month, said. https://t.co/LEOhrjlxwI
In a Twitter posts including a video by Sowetan Live, the protesters who carried weapons such as knobkerries, are waiting to be addressed by Mangosuthu Buthelezi, a notable politician and Zulu tribe leader.
The protesters who are mainly residents of hostels in eastern Johannesburg, marched on the streets on Sunday, September 8, chanting war songs and demanding that foreigners must leave or they would face their wrath.
‘Foreigners must go’, chant protesters as they wait for Mangosuthu Buthelezi https://t.co/jLSRDyeRMx
Sowetan Live reports that Siphiwe Mhlongo, chairman of hostel headmen (izinduna) in Gauteng, said South African nationals are angry at jobs being taken by foreign nationals, unhappy about drugs and RDP houses being owned by foreigners.
“Everyone who is in South Africa has that feeling that foreign nationals must go back home. But we don’t say foreign nationals must be beaten up; we are leaders,” he said.
Watch the video of the protests here:
Protesters from various hostels in eastern Johannesburg have begun marching along Jules Street. Carrying weapons, including knobkerries, the men sang, “foreigners must go back to where they came from”. https://t.co/SKbWqGePdz