Highlights of the Nigerian Presidential debate
The Presidential debate was organised by Broadcasting Organization of Nigeria, BON, in conjunction with Nigeria Election Debate Gruop.
The debate featured only three presidential candidates namely: Fela Durotoye of Alliance for New Nigeria, Oby Ezekwesili of Allied Congress Party of Nigeria and Young Progressives Party candidate, Kingsley Moghalu.
Here are the sounds and bites from the debate.
Together, we will all build a nation that will work for us —Presidential candidate of Alliance for New Nigeria, Fela Durotoye.
• I have the capacity, the competency and the character to take on this new leadership that our country deserves —Presidential candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria, Oby Ezekwesili.
• Skill, capital and literacy are what will fix Nigerian economy and take it into industrialisation —Moghalu.
• We will lift at least 80 million Nigerians out of poverty through improvement in the productivity of majority of Nigerians who earn less than N700 a day —Ezekwesili.
• My plan is to provide 30 million jobs —Durotoye.
• Every citizen of Nigeria matters. You matter, I matter, we all matter. That’s the basis for healing Nigeria —Moghalu.
• Nigeria needs a different kind of leadership that will transform the country and make it the envy of other nations —Presidential candidate of Young Progressives Party, Kingsley Moghalu.
We will ensure that the girls in the schools are safe and well taken care of —Durotoye.
• To reduce opportunities for corruption, you do things like structural changes in the economy —Ezekwesili.
• My Presidency will make sure that Nigeria’s peace will be established on the basis of equity, justice and accountability —Moghalu.
• To improve the security situation the leadership of the Armed Forces should not be based on friendship or ‘man know man’ but based on performance —Durotoye.
• We must modernize teaching. We will take teaching to the prestigious profession that it once was by training the teachers massively, and equipping them with the new knowledge of the new economy —Ezekwesili.
• I will end ASUU strike in Nigeria —Moghalu.
• There’s a huge supply of bad behaviour, savagery in our country because there has not been any judicial process that has led to the conviction of anyone that has killed a fellow Nigerian —Ezekwesili.
• One of the reasons why people are not paying taxes is not because their taxes will not be judiciously used, but because of the wastage and the corruption, they have seen in the system —Durotoye.
• Today, those who commit savagery know that there’s no consequence, and whenever there’s no consequence to criminality, it mushrooms —Ezekwesili.
• We will build a new Nigeria of our dreams together. Where there are job opportunities, where businesses exist and where nobody needs to know anybody to get into office because it will be a nation for all —Durotoye.
• The APC and the PDP; one is a kettle, one is a pot, and they call each other black —Moghalu.