South Africa reacts to closure of Embassy in Nigeria
The South African Acting High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, on Thursday confirmed the closure of the country’s missions in Nigeria.
Moroe told News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Thursday that the closure was sequel to the directive from his country’s government.
The envoy said she had subsequently directed the Abuja and Lagos offices of the mission to suspend all consular activities until the situation improved.
The acting head of mission said that the closure was necessitated by fear of attack by some Nigerian youths.
The South African Government had in a statement by Naledi Pandor, the Minister of the Department of International Relation and Cooperation, on Thursday announced the closure of its Nigerian mission.
Ms Pandor expressed disappointment over the decision to support the closure of the South African High Commission in Abuja and the Consulate in Lagos.
She said both offices were closed following concerns reported to the minister by officials working in those places.
Ms Pandor said the closure “followed the receipt of threats against mission staff as well as the property of South Africa’’.
She said that several meetings with students’ organisation were held at the mission and that a committee had been established to sustain their dialogue and work towards the proposed visit.
Ms Pandor said the department and the ministry would remain in constant contact, continue to assess the situation on ground and provide feedback as new information was made available.
She, however, said that the ministry planned to meet the African Heads of Mission to South Africa next week.